Friday, June 23, 2006

there are no cute doctors in the ER

I thought I'd be able to sneak out of the house on Monday about midnight or so, just leave a note so as not to disturb anyone...and drive myself to the ER. I figured I'd get there, they'd shock my heart back into a normal rhythm, and I'd be home before breakfast. Nobody would really need to know I'd been gone.

I didn't know how it would turn out. I'd never been to the ER before, much less spend any amount of time in a hospital, other than for childbirth.

An anticipated 6-hour adventure turned into a 4 1/2 day gala with a floorful of elderly cardiac patients, most sprawled out immodestly in their beds, their mouths wide open during their daylong naps. And, because my timing always sucks, I managed to miss one kid's all-star tournament game and the other's 5th grade graduation.

As it happens, I'm extremely healthy. I don't get sick, I don't get colds, flus, whatever bug is going around. I've never been severely injured. I'm VERY lucky. Of course, now I've just blown it; tomorrow I'll go outside and get beaned by a huge frozen chunk of airplane waste.

But I've had this funny heart thing, a-fib, for years. And blew it off because, well, I'm very healthy. I figured everyone had a funny heart thing every once in a while. But in the past few years, these little episodes have gotten longer, lasting hours and hours, disturbing me to the point where I actually WENT TO A DOCTOR. It's his fault I went to the ER; that's what he told me to do, but I'm usually not good at following orders.

So the heart thing starts up, I give it a couple of hours, then hop in the van to the ER. It's a Monday night, I thought; how bad could it be in the ER?

I was there for 12 hours.

Finally, they found a room for me and my old (and I mean, old) pal Gloria, a retired math teacher with a pacemaker, rheumatoid arthritis, and lord knows what else. She passed out on Tuesday and came to the ER by ambulance; after 3 days of poking and prodding, they determined it was from the heat. She wasn't a moaner--thank god; didn't talk too much, and best of all didn't require the freestanding commode in the room, so. She was ok.

They hooked me up to a heart monitor with at least 1/2 dozen wires stuck to my chest, providing a computer readout that I'm pretty certain no one was paying attention to back at the nurse's station. Because I was forbidden to remove the monitor, I was under strict instruction--and clearly, I am someone who would buck the system when I could, perhaps by ordering 2 desserts--to not bathe. It was horrible.

I refused to pay for TV, so I passed the excrutiatingly long and boring days with 2 books and several magazines. I also entertained patients and staff with an elaborate series of stretching exercises in the hallway, all the while keeping my hospital gown tied and secure. I wish I could say the same for Clarence across the hall.

I had an ultrasound and a few EKGs performed, with the threat of getting shocked and paddled if I didn't convert to a normal rhythm--and Christianity--by Wednesday evening.

By Wednesday afternoon I'd converted, and it took another 2 days of bloodletting and poking and prodding and pills to convice them that, yes, she won't stroke out immediately upon leaving the building.

I left on Friday afternoon, armed with scrips and follow-up instructions and all sorts of ways in which I now have to "watch myself." No caffeine, for starters, which blows. No vigorous exercise, at least, not yet. No aspirin. No vitamin K. Checkwiththedoctorbeforetakinganyherbalsupplements.

When I was young, these little electrical disturbances were of no consequence. Now that I'm older, my heart--while still very strong and structurally sound--is getting older too, and may not efficiently withstand these little dancing electrical freak-outs. So I guess I'll do what the doc says. For a change.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

CAREY!!!! What the hell???

carey said...

I'll take that as a show of concern, Krissy. ;) Thanks.

Anonymous said...

pCarey! WTF! Yes, take that as a show of concern. Okay, I'm sure this has been done, but I feel obligated to fall back on my old standard and would be remiss if I didn't at least ask - did they check your thyroid? My guess is yes, but...

Did they find anything? Please keep us posted.

Nancy

Mike said...

No caffeine? For ever??? Oh, man. Take care of yourself.

carey said...

Yeah, Mike, I guess I'll have to give up my coke habit.

Nancy, I think they checked everything they could think of. It's just some weird electrical freak thing. But thanks for checking in! Hope you're well.

Anonymous said...

So, you finally stopped your Coke habit? (Good for you! Although "Classic" IS a tasty treat once in a while)

Hmmmmm....I also seem to recall a certain gal who was supposed to pretty much give up on ALL caffeine...not that I'm ragging on ya-but it was A WHILE AGO-and it DID have to do with your health...AHEM :\

...but the giving up of Chocolate, (still a fav, yes?) COKE AND caffeine is just way too much to ask of a gal!!!

** I gotta say, I love the pic of "Mike" holding a coffee mug to his lips while giving you sympathy about no caffeine!! LOL! ;-)

Seriously though-WOW!! (hopefully DH and the boys stepped up to help?!?) And REALLY, R U OK??? Lemme know girl, 'k? OXOXO