Friday, June 02, 2006

check my meter, baby

So here's the sign, meter reader, the post-it sign on the door clearly says I'M HOME on meter reading day, just COME ON IN! I won't leave the house, I've cleared my calendar, I will not move...because I KNOW you're actually going to come and read my meter today! Yes, I'm SURE of it, it says so right on the bill here! It's OK, I don't mind waiting. It's been a long time, hasn't it? You just...show up, and I'll be here. Yup, yup, yup. No "estimated" energy usage for me, nooosir! You'll get an ACCURATE reading from the meter, because YOU will be here to look at it with your own two eyes! Why trust ME to hang the meter card on the door, when YOU will be here to witness the lazy tick...tick...tick of the meter? Puts on quite a show, doesn't it, meter man?

Meter man?

Hey...where's the meter man?

Where's the goddamn meter man?! I spent all day in my f**cking house waiting for this lamebrain, and he doesn't show. Now I'll have another month of "estimated" usage, which I'm pretty certain will be "estimated" higher than my actual usage. Bush figures into all of this, I'm sure of it.

In the meantime, both boys lobbed up wonderful little balls of mature thought tonight. We've been having some kickass thunderstorms (seems like we don't get them as often as we used to, or is that just me?) E was writing down his thoughts about the storm and mentioned that the sky looked like it was taking pictures. Yes, that's exactly it, isn't it? That quick, mythical heat lightning.

Then, after our evening of bedtime conversation, J reminded me that I had forgotten to give him the final hug in our routine. Arms outstretched: "are you forgetting something?"

Yeah, perhaps the hug. But not moments like these.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Nice. How old are your kids?

carey said...

Hi Mike.

The boys are 8 (nearly 9) and 11. They're whacked. Every once in a while they exhibit such pure innocent thought, untainted by adult cynicism, TV, peers...it helps to renew what faith I have left in people.