Thursday, June 08, 2006

no sex, please, we're dreaming

Do you think, when you get old, you appear to yourself in your dreams as you are? Or as a younger version of yourself? And if you have a sex dream when you're old--ugh--do you dream of being with people who are much younger?

When you appear in your dreams, is it as an observer to the action, or do you actually see yourself?

Most of the time I see the dream unfold around my eyes, as in real life. But every once in a while, I see my body as it moves through whatever misadventures my subconscious has cooked up.

And oddly, my subconscious doesn't appear to want to allow me to have a, uh, climactic sex dream.

The other day, I'm on my walk, and suddenly I remember a dream that I'd had about a guy...I think I had wanted him to babysit the boys. But he was a young guy, with blonde spiky hair (which I wouldn't go for in real life)...and I remember he was kind of a jerk. But then he redeemed himself by coming in and, real slowly, kissing my neck.

And that's where it ended.

I had a dream last night, and this was one in which I was both IN it, and saw myself in it...and got into this thing with a guy who was a cross between Rupert Everett and an old Irish boyfriend. There was much flirting and provocation, and I think there was nudity involved (and a sports car that started up like a lawnmower)...but no sex.

It rarely seems to get that far.

Why? Why can't I just have a sex dream that leads to sex? Is it some kind of subconcious moral barrier I've built? Perhaps it's because the foreplay is usually more fun than the act itself? (Well, certainly not ALL the time, but you know.)

To be sure, once in a very great while, the act sneaks in there, into the dream...and I am always seeing it with my mind's eye...with surprising, real-life results. However, 95% of the time, even in dreams where it would be the most logical, perfect thing to do...I wake up unfulfilled.

40 years from now, am I still going to be dreaming about this stuff?

1 comment:

Jim Maddox said...

The weirdest dreams are when you're a teenager and it's the 1960s and you're having sex with your next door neighbor's mom.
And you're not "on" anything.
I mean really weird.