Tuesday, May 30, 2006

turquoise and coral and lapis, oh my

The holiday weekend was another one of those long weekends in which you plan to do 100 productive things and do none of them.

We managed a trip to the Rankokus Indian arts and crafts festival, at which I wept openly at the jewelry that I can't afford. I'm not sure why I put myself through this ordeal...walking around the tables, lusting after the turqoise and coral and lapis, nestled in heavy swirls of sterling. (I'm not a diamonds and rubies kinda gal.) And I stop at each booth, pick stuff up, try it on, feel the heft of a ring or a bracelet...and then gingerly, apologetically, put it back, mumbling something about coming back to purchase it later...knowing that I don't NEED the ring or the earrings or the bracelet (LOVE the bracelet) and then sadly, move on empty-handed. I hate being so realistic sometimes.

But if I hadn't been walking around admiring the jewelry, I would not have seen this t-shirt.


Yeah. Native Americans surely got a bum deal. These festivals are good for driving that point home.

And, as a bonus, here's this guy:

A strange thing though, and I'm not sure why I noticed it, but I would guess that more than half of those attending were either overweight or obese. And once you notice someone who's really obese, you tend to notice others.
The national average for obesity is about 31% and overweight is roughly 34%, depending on what charts you read. So that's about 65% of Americans who are overweight or obese, and that's probably about what I saw. People can do what they want, I don't care, but...it was just a little startling to see this little snapshot of an overweight population.

No comments: