Tuesday, May 09, 2006

cosmic dots

Lost the game to Schileen's tonight, not surprisingly. They beat the crap out of me.

Had a couple of messages today, one via TM and another by email--unexpected communications that I like to think reveal a more meaningful agenda. I'm always looking for ways to connect the cosmic dots. I don't know why or when the hell I started to do this. I couldn't have cared less about finding "meaning" and "connectedness" 10 years ago. Hell, even 5 years ago. But I think it's a function of getting older. Perhaps a sign of desperation, as mortality looms large. I dunno. See? I NEVER used to think things like that. It sometimes pisses me off. Why can't a thing just be the thing? Why do I have to try to assign some deeper meaning to it?

Finally, some of the parents of the littler kids on J's Minor B team are getting a little concerned because he's so tall and hits so hard that he may knock out a few teeth. They don't quite believe he's 8, because, well, he's as big as a 10-year-old. We tried to get him moved up, but the LL prez is more concerned about sticking to his arbitrary age cut-off and not pissing people off than he is about safety and addressing each child's individual skills. Is it wrong to hope a kid's teeth get knocked out to prove a point?

No comments: