Monday, May 15, 2006

no big whoop

Another Mother's day, come and gone...and while I insist on not making it a big deal, it's the only day out of the year where everyone actually listens to me, and no big deal is made. Just a handmade card from the boys is fine with me. Really. No, really. J's card said I had eyes like diamonds, and that I was honest and brave. :)

Of course, Mother's day leads up to Father's day, which is actually just a cleverly disguised version of Mother's day all over again, in which Mom insists that Dad needs to honor Father's day by taking the kids out all day long and doing "dad" things like fishing or...fishing, leaving Mom free to do what she wants.

Ironic thing about the day was the fact that we rented The Machinist. If you've seen it, you'll understand the coincidence. I had no prior idea Mother's day was featured in the movie. See? There's a cosmic dot. I liked it, by the way; another one of those dark, disturbing movies I tend to enjoy.

That's why I don't like to rent comedies. They're mostly not quite as funny when you watch them at home; I think it helps to be surrounded by other laughter to facilitate your own. That, or maybe I simply don't find most mainstream comedies that funny. But the dark, disturbing movies are perfect for home viewing...you get to sit and think about them--brood, even--and you don't have to talk to anyone about them afterward.

No comments: