Tuesday, September 19, 2006

what, me cook?

When the kids go back to school, it turns my food preparation routine on its ear.

(I make no secret about it: I hate cooking. The dh suggested once that since it's my responsibility to cook for the family, that I should do it "with love." His head still has the dent in it from the frying pan.)

The bad thing is having to make lunches every day. This is a dreary task, often made frustrating when your kids refuse to try something new.

"Hey, how about some lettuce on your sandwich? Live dangerously."

"Ewwww-uh." (When did these simple one-syllable words take on an extra syllable? "No-uh." "Uh-yeah." "It's mine-uh.")

But the flip side of back to school is all the sports practices and games conveniently occur right at dinnertime! Yay! So my obligation to prepare a decent, wholesome dinner is temporarily suspended for a couple of months. Mac 'n cheese, sandwiches, ramen noodles, hot dogs, soup...all now represent the dinner norm. The boys are cool with this, because they don't seem to really appreciate my cooking anyway, and who could blame them. A baloney sandwich, to them, is probably a safer option than some of my other mysterious concoctions like "shepard's pie" and "ham and potato casserole."

So I'm looking forward to these next few weeks of simply "opening" food, not really cooking it: opening cans, packages, the microwave door.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you girlfriend. Although I do question what "cooking routine" you'd be referring to. Is that the one that only requires 1 pound of hamburger, not the 1.12 pounds sold at the supermarkets?

Anonymous said...

Finally someone else who hates to cook! If I dont have a recipe right in front of me, forget it. No trolloping out to the herb garden and whipping up some fancy dish with me. Although I have tried to be creative, its just not like a camera or a canvas. Leave the pots for someone else.

carey said...

I HATE that excess meatflesh, Heather! What a scam.

Krissy, you make a good point. People are all different kinds of creative. But I'm an uninspired cook at best, and I'm tired of making excuses for it. I yam what I yam. But I don't cook with them. ;)

Anonymous said...

First off Care...A lot of chefs/cooks are men-so why does DH think it's "your job" to cook?!? (an indignant) Hunh!!! Even though I LOVE to cook, I don't agree with that one-never did. (that's like saying all housework is a womans job...don't get me started!!) Hey, I have some gal pals whose hubbies fix the meals all the time b/c the gals burn water! I TRY to get my DH to participate making a meal once in awhile, and when he does, I have to be prepared that MEAT is THE dish (the ONE and ONLY) and if there be sight of a "veggie" it's gonna be an onion or mushroom! However, my DH ALWAYS does the dishes, so, YAY to that! However, regarding cooking and relationships,
I must admit my naivete' thinking any man would be happy with my "gourmet" cooking/knowledge of so many dishes.
My DH has got to be one of the PICKIEST HUMANS (regarding food) I HAVE EVER COME ACROSS!! (BTW-He feels the same about lettuce on a sandwich as your boys do).
I say one of the pickiest, because my childhood friend "Pheffy" used to only like cinnamon toast. Lord knows if that girl has ever eaten anything else to this day!?! Anywhoo...I think I know worst cooks than you! ;-)

carey said...

The dh said that to me years ago, and I've never forgotten it. Meanwhile, I can count on one hand the times he's cooked dinner. Pancakes on Sunday he can handle.

And dishes? Fuhgeddabouttit.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, your boys should be making their own lunches, dear. you know, as mothers it's our job to prepare them for the real world. That would, of course, mean their own food preparation. "E" for sure and I think "J" is old enough too. That gets you out of yet another icky job.

Anonymous said...

carey said: "The dh said that to me years ago, and I've never forgotten it."
Whoa! What was that, 12 years ago? That's 4380 days or so. *&%@!

You don't remember holidays, but you remember this garbage? Ever think of saying, "Hey, let's renegotiate this..."

So much for forgetting and forgiving.

Did you ever change the oil?... Install or repair an appliance?...Clean the gutters?
...(Not that there's anything wrong with that!) but c'mon! Forget, forgive, and move on, will ya? (#$^%!)

btw, I'm hungry. What's for dinner? :D
dh