Tuesday, September 12, 2006

mangled English

I'm on a deadline today, so instead of using what's left of my brain to post something thoughtful, I thought I'd present a list of some of the "isms" I've collected from my youngest son, J.

Kids have a delightful way of mangling the English language, and we all have our favorites. Here are mine:

“Rememberies” (memories)

“Handy Capps” (Andy Capp’s hot fries)

“Squat Team” (SWAT team)

“Bag of lunch” (for bagged, or brown bag, lunch)

“Conolial day” (Colonial day)

“Interrumpting” (interrupting)

“Sticky-ups” (hair that sticks up in the morning)

“Froggy” (foggy)

“Not to be offenseless” (not meaning to offend)

“Underpits” (armpits; this is actually from J's friend)

“I just want some peace and silence” (not wanting the radio on in the van)

“Teenage waistband…it’s only teenage waistband.” (The Who)


"White beater" (wife beater) and "Red beater" (for a red tank top)

"What's the height of me?" (how tall am I?)

“Pepto-Gizmo” (Pepto-Bismol)


J doesn't mangle the language quite as much as he used to; guess I can still count on W to do that for the next couple of years.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think your son is a hoot.

carey said...

I like to think so. Do you know him?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it was me.
Heather