Wednesday, May 16, 2007

ball games

I think I’ve mentioned several times to anyone within earshot that perhaps the best way to celebrate Mother’s day is to just give the woman some time to herself and buy her food. Anything above that is gravy: gifts, a day at the spa, flowers, a puppy…all extra, welcome displays of appreciation, but not necessary.

So of course, my family decides it’s a great idea to take me out to a Phillies game, where I have to referee squabbling between the boys.

But at least I didn’t have to get up and buy my own Schmitter (a sandwich--named after the legendary yet reviled 3rd baseman Mike Schmidt--featuring unidentifiable meats and gloppy dressing. In retrospect, it was pretty gross, but I enjoyed it at the time. It’s one of those foods that tastes better at the ballpark.) And I had a beer to go with my Schmitter. One can’t devote themselves to the game more than wolfing down a sloppy Schmitter and drinking a $6.50 cup of beer.

The real reason they took me to the game was because it was Chase Utley Fleece Blanket day--the only way I’ll ever get Chase Utley to lay on top of me. I wouldn’t call myself a soccer mom, but I do cart around the obligatory fleece blanket or two in the van.

Next promotion, maybe the Phillies will come up with something a little edgier: The Chase Utley Warming Massage Lotion. The Chase Utley Deluxe 5-Speed Vibrating Bobblehead. A Role-Playing Adventure with Chase Utley, In Which You’re the Umpire and He’s Been Very, Very Bad. I’d pay for that giveaway.

Unfortunately, the Phillies could only muster up 3 hits and lost this very uninspiring, lazy game on Mother’s day. Still. It was a beautiful, sunny day; I got my blanket; and later we went out for Chinese. All in all, a pretty good Mother’s day.

6 comments:

Mike said...

Why was Schmidt reviled?

carey said...

Philadelpia sports fans are unabashedly devoted and loyal, almost painfully so; at the same time, they can turn on a dime.

Mike Schmidt had kind of a love/hate relationship with local sports fans and the media, even though he was probably the best player the Phillies ever had. He "demonstrated little emotion on the field and was perceived as being somewhat aloof."

"Schmidt was often criticized in Philadelphia newspapers and by fans for being too sensitive or for not trying hard enough. He was just as likely to be booed by Phillies fans as he was to be cheered."

Schmidit said: "They read their sports pages, know their statistics and either root like hell or boo our butts off."

"You're trying your damndest, you strike out and they boo you. I act like it doesn't bother me, like I don't hear anything the fans say, but the truth is I hear every word of it and it kills me."

As the years passed, Philadelphia fans eventually came to recognize his contribution to the franchise, but every once in a while you'll read some sportswriter bitching about something he said.

Mike said...

That's a very comprehensive answer. Thank you.

carey said...

You mean "long-winded" and "boring"?

SLZP said...

Someone forgot to tell you that the Phillies suck. Let's go Mets! (F-A-N, doo doo doo!)

(By the way, I have a master's degree in writing, as I'm sure you can tell from my creative response.)

carey said...

Yo, Pavlou...now that you're officially, painfully, a resident of South Jersey, you may want to think twice before pledging your allegiance to the Schmets.