Wednesday, November 01, 2006

not such a bad day after all

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Who knew, with my disdain for Halloween, that both boys would go on to win several costume awards?

J's mime outfit won for best costume in his class and at his Adventure Guides
party.

E's Chef Boyardee here also won him 2 awards, one for Most Original in his 6th grade class (minus the identity-protecting shrubbery). Plus, I'm pretty certain he improved his street cred with his classmates. I mean, what better way to earn the respect of your peers than to go trick-or-treating dressed as a huge can of spaghetti? I underestimated these boys; E went out with a group of about 10 boys, and I was certain they'd find a hill to roll him down. But they didn't, and he received compliments throughout the neighborhood.

Between the two of them, they came home with about 9 pounds of candy, less than last year's record-setting 11 pounds.

Halloween was also notable because I was called in for the first time to sub.

The teachers snickered when I came in, with knowing, snarky comments like "hahaha, they called you in on HALLOWEEN, the MOST STRESSFUL day of the year? Have FUN!" Followed by more evil laughter.

The day consisted mostly of just keeping the kids in their seats, keeping the noise level down, and judiciously doling out lavatory passes. Later in the afternoon they went home to put their costumes on. They returned for the parade, followed by their class parties, which was all they can think about all day so keeping them focused was a challenge. This being first grade, it wasn't all that difficult; I brought out all my cartoon voices and wacky blackboard cartoons and my big gorilla head, and they were satisfied. Or at least stunned into submission.

One kid was talking about Toy Story and I got right in his face and pointed at him and said, "YOU come down in your stupid cardboard spaceship and take away everything that's important to me!" He looked startled at first but then lightened up and said, "Hey, that's from Toy Story 1! How did you know that?" He was clearly impressed.

My job there was done.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice plant head.

carey said...

Yeah, I guess I'm a little paranoid. Ya never know.

Anonymous said...

That threw me off...I wondered if the Chef Boyardee was tainted?? (or is it Taint HEAD!?!)

Ahemmmm....why don't you have a pic of J's costume??? Still dissin' on the Mime eh??

Cool that they won! Fine craftsmanship on the can I must say. Very can-like shiny although that green still scares me....

Yes, you DID wear that Marie Antoinette gown, except you refused to wear the bustle, the bustier or have me do your hair in a "do". I will dig up a pic-can I post it here? That'd be a hoot!

(The gown was grey and black taffeta with grey lace over the main skirt and black lace hanging on the sides. Plus you didn't let me do the scars around your neck! And, OK...it WAS the "look" for AFTER she was dead and buried, but still.....)

carey said...

Mer, I don't think you can post it here. But if you send it to me, I'd be happy to post it. Well, maybe I wouldn't be happy about it, but...hell, I don't even think I knew what a bustier WAS back then.

Anonymous said...

Take a second look at the picture, and the placement of the meatballs relative to the body.
Now, that's funny!
j

carey said...

j, not so anonymous...I never noticed that. That's pretty funny.