Tuesday, June 26, 2007

the end of softball season

Softball season is finally over, for both my girls and the ladies.

My girls team basically sucked, and I mean that with the utmost affection. Eleven and twelve-year-old girls are just simply whacked. Some are tomboys, some are girly girls, some would love to be anywhere but on the softball field, some are all enthusiasm and effort but still suck, and some are the divas who think they play well but don't. They actually improved as the season went on, however.

I managed them this year because none of their parents would. One player's dad helped me out sometimes, but really: these girls wouldn't have played if I hadn't coached them. And I said at the beginning, if one gal got through the season wanting to play next year, then I did my job.

So I keep it together during the last game. They play ok, but we lose. No biggie.

I give them each a silver softball angel charm and some Dubble Bubble. They gather in the dugout for my final words.

"Ok," I say. "Let me just say that it has been..."

Choke. Splutter.

"...an honor and a privilege..."

Sniff. Snort.

"...to have coached you this year."

Turn around, walk to the pitcher's mound, collect my thoughts, hold my head back so whatever tears are there will suck back into my eyeballs. Return to dugout.

"Ok, as I was saying. You gals have been the best..."

Splutter.

Anyway, I choke out whatever stupid final last parting thoughts I wanted to say, which I'm pretty sure the girls had already tuned out by that time.

But wait. Here's the team diva, getting up to give me a hug, looking teary-eyed. Here's one of the tomboys, a big galoot of a gal; she comes up, sniffling, gives me a hug, and says "I'm never letting you go."

Here's Taylor--who had never played before, who beamed each time she had the weakest of hits--who clinches it:

"I want to play again next year. Are you going to coach?" Follows with hug.

"Maybe," I say. "If you'll play on my team."


NJ State Champs, 1978

11 comments:

Mike said...

You the chick with the big glasses?

carey said...

Funny. Yes, that's exactly how I've described myself here: short, dark, and Asian.

Nah, actually I'm the guy in the plaid pants.

Nah, actually: get a load of that perm! I look like a really tall poodle.

Anonymous said...

Ah Carey,
You cried at the end of the season?! You big softie. You'll be back again.
BTW, I hated playing you guys in softball in high school. We sucked and you were REALLY good.
H.

carey said...

I believe we're still the only state champ team from Gateway, but I'd have to check that. Honest to god, though, look at those pants.

I'm not sure we were that good as much as we just had a lucky run.

Anonymous said...

Um, you were good. You especially were amazing. You're probably still pretty good even for an old broad.
H.

Anonymous said...

BABOOMBABOOMBABOOM!

carey said...

Gee, thanks, H. I do ok, but I don't move as fast as I used to. What used to be a home run is a double...sometimes a triple, if I slide.

Yeah, funny. Baboombaboom. I'm also a little better endowed now, too.

Anonymous said...

how many can you still name? i recognize donna m. who had the big glasses?
h- your team might have been better if you weren't all drinking before your games, or maybe it's because you sucked that you decided might as well be drunk too?

M

carey said...

Yeah, Donna, and Maureen, Nanette, Kim, Linda, Cathy, Dawn...uh..I think that's it, without checking the roster hidden in some storage tub in the basement. That's not too bad, I guess.

What, H, drink before a game? Noooo, say it ain't so!

Anonymous said...

kim who - do you remember? she looks familiar

yes, h had to be pulled on more than one occasion when she fell off the mound - safety issue i guess!

carey said...

Kim's the one with the glasses; I think she was one of Anne Tarpine's "friends." She had her own graphics business; I think she called it kimco. Can't remember her last name though.

Well, I'm glad H switched to a safer sport.