Tuesday, December 05, 2006

what's that smell?

I woke up this morning and noticed my palms smelled like potatoes.

Is that just me?

Is this that "old person" smell that I keep hearing about?

I understand old people might develop that musty old person smell because they probably don't bathe as frequently. Or maybe they don't get out as much, get fresh air...or their skin dries out...it's kind of gross, thinking about what happens to your body as you get older. I'm sorry I started. But I DO bathe regularly, I get out every day, my skin is just normal skin. So what gives?

My goal now, for when I'm officially an old person, is to smell like violets and Ivory soap. I'll bathe every day, even if I can only manage a T & A. I'll wear a hidden sachet in my bosom and spray room freshener on my privates. Whatever it takes.

I'm not going out smelling of potatoes.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always figured that old people smelled like that because they were rotting from the inside. Good luck washing that away.

carey said...

That would explain those strange elderly skin sprouts. Ugh.

carey said...

btw, Mike, thanks for posting comments. I hear there are others who apparently read this stupid thing but don't comment for fear of retribution or something. ;)

Anonymous said...

I won't have witty things to say like "old people are rotting" EVERY day.

Anonymous said...

Carey, I have to question where your hands were before you went to sleep last night. Any chance you were applying something on your feet or something? Maybe you're just losing your mind. Gran never smelled like potatoes. She did, however, smell like Tabu. I kind of like the Ivory/violet combo for you. or maybe lavender. I'm having a pretty funny visual of you spraying your privates w/ air freshener.
H.
aka - absolutely no fear of reprisals here, what are you gonna do? Tell my mom?

carey said...

H, thank YOU for posting too!

That's the thing: I don't do anything unusual with them before bed, and even if I do THAT, I'll usually get up and wash them afterward, as well as swoosh around a liberal Listerine rinse;)

Anonymous said...

I prefer twice-baked. Or is it more like "freedom fries" or, the waffle fries at Chick-Fil-A?
Who wakes up and smells their hands? I'm picturing Mary-Catherine Gallagher of the SNL skit, "And that's bad, very bad!"
If you are introduced to someone and they say, "Glade to meet you, then you know you've gone overboard from you sachet.

carey said...

It just HAPPENED one morning, I smelled my palms, what can I tell you?! And that's what they smelled like. If anyone has a better explanation, short of Mike's theory of rotting from the inside, I'm all ears. Maybe they'll smell like corn tomorrow, who knows.