Monday, July 21, 2008

sea of cubbies

Not to riff on Mike's post about his new job, but I have a new job too. A new job at my old job.

I've worked at this company, off and on, in various capacities and departments, since 1995. I was a Quark guru. An editor. An artist. A copywriter. A faux marketing director. A freelance writer. Fulltime. Parttime. Always the one actually doing the work.

And I was fine with that. I liked being left alone to do the work. I needed no accolades, no pats on the back, just a copy of the latest whatever magazine/brochure/program my work appeared in. I don't ask for much.

Years ago I suggested they ought to have a nice little place where a lactating mother could pump breast milk. The wave of the future! I said. They thought I was nuts. It was just a little creepy hauling the electric milk sucker into the vice-president's office to pump when he was out of town. But I did it, and I was the only one. It beat the bathroom.

They scoffed at my idea of a 4-day workweek when my kids were little. So I quit. Taught for a couple years. Kids. They're funny.

Soon after I quit, they created a room for breast pumping. And they grudgingly started offering parttime and flextime. To appease the militants.

It's convenient. It's familiar. People like me there. I'm like the crazy aunt who never leaves the party.

It's a black hole, eager to suck your life away. The cleaning people think there are ghosts in the building.

It's a job. It comes with a cubby. I will oversee the company's flagship publication. My ed board gets generous honorariums. Meetings worldwide. I get a credit card. And a staff of young things half my age, who I will alternately nurture and desperately attempt to convince that they need to get out NOW while they still can.

Sure, I'm grateful, and honestly, a little surprised, that they've chosen me to do this job. A square peg in a round hole. In my current situation, it's a lot easier to rationalize selling my soul to pay the bills. I have no choice.

During my orientation today, the HR gal handed me my temporary nameplate.

"I still have my other permanent one."

"You do?"

"Yeah. I took it when I left."

"Oh. You weren't supposed to do that. You were supposed to give it to me. I put it in your file, so if you come back, we'd have it." They actually have a policy for ex-employee nameplates.

Rule broken. Mission accomplished.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is funny about the name plate. I was cleaning out the attic space last week and found a marble name plate that I had on my desk,BC, when I was a director at a hospital in Philly. I was surprised that they could fit that long last polish name that I have acquired, (has just about every letter of the alphabet in it), on this plate. Scarlet said ,"mom you should keep this". I asked why, her reply. "I can bury with you when you die. Alrighty then!!!!! My mother has one of my name plates that was on the outside of my office door, in her china closet. OK china closet versus coffin!!!

Mike said...

Congrats! I hope this new job still leaves you with enough time to do your monthly blogging.

Anonymous said...

Yeah Carey, how else would your friends have the slightest idea what was going on in your life???
Congrats.
H.

SLZP said...

You are my favorite editor, writer, freelancer, blogger, mom, friend, corrupter. Ever. But you know this. I'm glad you're back. Let's have lunch at the Hollywood.

carey said...

Geez, Nutty, your family is weird.

Thanks Mike...we'll have to share cube jokes.

H, I'd say more about it if it were the least bit interesting.

SZP: Hey, Robin and Denise were snooping around our "bullpen" yesterday, looking for...something. Perhaps they were looking for ways to reconfigure the cubes. They walked out and I said, loud enough for them to hear, "what are you looking for, illegal footwear?"

Denise chuckled and they went off. I leaned over at Dave and asked if I was in trouble.

"Oh, yeah," he said.

So, I'm already off on the wrong foot!