Friday, July 04, 2008

dragon scrotum

The annual 4th of July celebration in Wenonah passed by much like it always does, with a few notable differences.

The boys and I arrived late; the parade had already double backed by the time we got there. That's never happened to me before.

I missed the battle of the bands, the battle royale between the Pitman Hobo Band and the Bonsal Blues Band. The parade stops when the bands pass each other, and they together play one or two rousing patriotic songs. It's the true highlight of the parade, and it makes that 9:15 am beer that much more refreshing.

Remy didn't run out in the street to fetch the thrown candy. Boo did, but only under duress. He probably felt a little ridiculous, this 6-foot 13-year-old, running down the street for Smarties and Sweetarts and Bit 'O Honeys and Bottle Caps, and, if he was lucky, the occasional and widely prized Tootsie Roll. Why did someone think it was a good idea to package the world's most detested candy in huge BJ-size bags? Does
anyone really like Smarties?

Then I went to O'Connor's (Oak's) for more morning beer. I finally got to talk to Jack Wiler, who's a hoot with tremendous recall of his life growing up in Wenonah. Also Jim Maddox, who blogs about nearby Woodbury Heights...great to read their blogs about local history and shared baby boomer experiences, regardless of locale. Thanks, Jack.

(Because I am so much younger than Jack, I can only place myself on the tail end of the baby boom, and I can't remember shit anyway, and that's why I like his blog.)

The usual crowd of over-the-hill hippie guys were at Oak's and, as I was unaccompanied by kids and dh, I was able to talk to some of them at length. These were some of the guys I spent my teenage years hanging out with, guys like Ron, Jim, Victor, Richie, Larry, Steve...mostly blue collar guys with Peter Pan syndrome who used to punctuate every other word with "fucking" and "man" back in the 70s, so a conversation with any of them might go something like this:

"Hey, Victor."

"Hey, Carey. Hey, have you seen Paul? He was fucking here a minute ago, man, and now he's fucking disappeared."

"Sorry, I haven't seen him."

"Fuck. He has my fucking CAR, man."

Victor and Jack shared a story about one evening when they had driven to the Pine Barrens. Jack's brother Mick was there, and somebody else, I don't remember. They had all dropped acid, and they remembered the exact dosage. Apparently Victor had received some extra-strength blotter, but wasn't aware of its exaggerated potency. So he took 2 tabs, which was something like the equivalent of 4 regular-strength tabs. Jack took one, Mick took 1/2. How the HELL these guys remember this, I don't know.

So they're out driving in the Pine Barrens and swear to GOD there's a car that's following them, right on the bumper, along the scary, dark, winding roads through the woods. Then, suddenly, as if it were an alien spacecraft, if disappears. Like
that! Then they recounted how the tree branches turned into arms reaching out at them, these blue alien arms. A trip to remember, evidently, but how one can remember anything on that much blotter astounds me.

Victor told me he studies Tibetan Buddhism, and then shared with me information about his various tattoos. Apparently there's a dragon around his scrotum. Thanks, Victor!

I see these guys once a year, and they never cease to amuse me.

The mug was really lame this year. They've apparently run out of historical buildings to highlight, so they threw some clip art on it. Even my friend Lisa gave up on the mug this year. She's been an avid collector, and to my knowledge has never missed a 4th. But she didn't come to Wenonah this year, she and her festive 4th of July socks, and I missed her.

I'd been dreading this day for awhile, given the tension between the inlaws and me and probably all their friends...long story, but I wasn't exactly feeling the love upon my arrival in my old hometown. But then after a couple of beers and compliments at Oaks before heading down to the firehouse for more, the day became a nostalgic trip back to the 70s, when drugs were cool, everybody was your best friend, and older guys who could have easily taken advantage of teenage jailbait--even guys with tattoos and fast cars and motorcycles who said "fuck" all the time--were gentlemen.

9 comments:

Jim Maddox said...

It was nice to meet you on the Fourth. Man, it was fucking cool.
Please forgive an old baby boomer for not realizing who you were. Lots of dead brain cells.

carey said...

Lots of people don't know who I am; I like it that way. Haven't been by your blog yet, but if it's anything like Jack's, it ought to be a hoot!

Anonymous said...

I had Lisa at my house,sans socks. She evidently only dons them for Wenonah 4th's. Or maybe she was dressed up 'cause she went to M's house first.
H.

carey said...

I'm sorry I didn't make it; the kids wanted to hang around. But no socks! Tell me she was at least wearing a gem-encrusted patriotic pin!

Anonymous said...

I'm not positive but I think she was. I don't blame the kids, I didn't really want to be here either. It was actually kind of boring this year.
H.

Jim Maddox said...

describing things a "hoot". Is that a Wenonah thing? I notice both you and Jack use it. It's not unfamiliar to me, but I don't recall people in Woodbury Heights using it too much.

carey said...

Hmmm. I don't know. Do you all say "hunnerd" instead of "hundred"?

I do think there were probably little things like that that are very specific to a small area...there was a time when, if someone did something stupid, we'd sarcastically say, "Oh that's 'M.'" Meaning, "mature." I very distinctly remember Victor saying this and some of the other parkies as well. Wonder if that was just a Wenonah thing.

Jim Maddox said...

Thanks for the comment on my Heavy Metal post. I hope you found it a hoot.

Anonymous said...

I'm a little late reading this but I missed you on the 4th and no, no socks this year but yes I did wear the grandmother flag pin. So much for you wenches trying to get me to buy that patriotic PURSE pin at Shannon's party! Yes, the mug era finally ended, it was time and I was just too maudlin this year.