Wednesday, November 21, 2007

no more beating my brains

Thankfully, it seems that Obama's recent admission to a bunch of high school kids that he "experimented" with drinking and drugs in his youth--something he wrote about in his book--has not generated much media frenzy.

(I have a love/hate relationship with the media anyway. I hate the way they swoop down on some stupid, irrelevant crumb of information (Britney ran over a photog's foot! How could she not when they're surrounding her car all the time?!) and turn it into an earth-shattering event. Yet, they're now telling us (well, maybe Fox isn't) that Scott McClellan is throwing Bush under the bus. That Bush and his evil gang of criminals actually--gasp!--told him to lie to the American public about their role in exposing Valerie Plame. So, I like that. I just wish they'd impeach this fucking guy and be done with it. We should be storming the frigging White House to physically remove this corrupt, cowardly sack of shit. And I rarely use the term "sack of shit" because it's kind of stupid, so it really means something coming from me.)

Anyway.

You kind of have to expect a younger candidate might have a history of some drinking and drug use. And I'm not sure I'd trust him/her if they didn't. I don't trust most of the "holier than thou" crowd, who surely have some skeletons in their closet somewhere, along with the leather bondage gear.

What irks me is the word "experimented."

You "experiment" with a childhood chemistry set. You "experiment" with your mother's makeup, your dad's razor. You "experiment" with kitchen ingredients, concocting this ghastly, delicious meal of Captain Crunch, Fluff and avacado.

What's it mean to "experiment" with drinking? Is that the same as creating a Long Island ice tea, just throwing a bunch of different liquors in a glass with ice, maybe mixing in a little soda or juice? How does one "experiment" with drugs? You either "take" them or "smoke" or "snort" them. I mean, there's no explanation for "experimenting." It's disingenuous, much like saying you didn't inhale.

It's supposed to make us think that, while you may have tried drinking and drugs back in the day, and even enjoyed doing those things for a while, you no longer indulge, at least to the extent you might have when you were younger. You grew out of it.

If you're a serious presidential candidate from Harvard Law School, we figured that out already. So you can just skip the "experimenting" part. We get it. We did it too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe "experiment" is the PC term for "did".
H.

Anonymous said...

Reverend Countess Marianne the Smoked of Greater Sodbury

hmmmm - I am sure H will have some rude comment if she comes back to this lost

carey said...

I dunno, H. "Did" somehow implies something more like regular usage: I "did" drugs. "Experiment" to me, sounds more like "tried." But then, how many times do you "try" drugs before you're "doing" them?

I wouldn't say I "did" drugs regularly. Yet, I more than "tried" them. Maybe "enjoy" would be a better word.

Marianne the Smoked! BAHAHAHHAHA! That's one to remember.

Anonymous said...

C'mon Carey, more than two or three times is "did". You did drugs. I did a lot of drugs. I think that if usage spread out over years than we're a bit past experimenting.
I think Mar got the funniest name. Don't worry though, she can just type her name in again and get a different one.

carey said...

Well, that's what I mean. There's a middle ground somewhere between experimenting (with the implication that one would experiment with a drug a few times, and then quit) and "did" (as in regularly did).

I dunno. "Irregularly did"? "Intermittently did"? "More than occasionally but less than routinely did"?

And what qualifies as a "lot"? It's all subjective. All's I know is, you did more than me. ;)