Monday, March 03, 2008

cheap sunglasses

For the record, I'm now a managing editor of an unimportant in the grand scheme of things medical magazine, all the while continuing to freelance write (in my spare time!) dry, clinical articles about...advanced gastric cancer and why docetaxel is a beast (www.hemonctoday.com/...it's the cover story!)

I'll be there for a few months until, well, I don't know. Recent events have necessitated a giant rethink about life in general, and what the hell I'm going do with it now.

Deep thinking isn't one of my strong points.

So the other day I went to Target to get Target stuff. I needed sunglasses. I refuse to pay a lot for sunglasses because they invariably get lost or broken.

Sunglasses always look a little askew on my head, I think because my ears must be crooked. They never seem to sit straight across my face.

And what's the deal with those huge 60s-style sunglasses? Who felt the need to resurrect that look? It's frigging stupid. There are some ugly-ass sunglasses out there.

Generally, when you go to buy sunglasses, it's not because you have a bunch of new, previously purchased sunglasses waiting around in a pile at home. When you buy sunglasses, you need them NOW because you don't have any. You drive around squinting for a week until you finally decide, yeah, I need sunglasses. I think I'll get some now.

So you get back in the car and eagerly grab the sunglasses from the bag because you don't want to go another day without them. But because of advanced adhesive technology, getting the damn sticker off the sunglasses that you want to wear RIGHT NOW is impossible. The sticky tag folds onto itself, creating an impenetrable bond that clenched teeth cannot chew through. And even if you manage to get the sticky tag off, the super adhesive stays on the frame, encouraging whatever hair or lint or whatever is flying around the air to stick to it.

Or, with the other pair...the tag is attached with the dreaded loopy-plastic tag holder thing. Sure, maybe you could cut it with scissors or a knife, if you kept those things in the car. But you don't. The paper tag detaches easily enough from the plastic loopy thing, leaving the plastic thing firmly looped around the frame, conveniently located right around the nosepiece, where everyone can see it because you don't give a shit anymore, you just put them on anyway because all you needed was a pair of DAMN SUNGLASSES. NOW.

Fortunately, you remembered to peel off the UV protection label from the lens. Didn't you?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, in a sign that the apocolypse is nearly upon us, you have a friend who wears "fitover" sunglasses - they are somewhat stylish if such a thing is possible - they're not the hulking horrible goggles glady worn by our parents. And they are twice the cost of those hideous gigantic wraparound ones - why is that? Turns out it's a concession to not having to buy two pairs of glasses which requires having to switch from regular to sunglasses so I can read small print on demand. It's either that or those ugly 70's style magic darkening glasses which look really stupid. L.

carey said...

Boy, that sounds complicated. Didn't you used to just buy them off the street vendors in Philly for a few bucks?

I was pretty happy with wayfarers, sad to say.

I think I've already lost one of the pairs I bought. In fact, I think I lost the entire Target bag filled with valuable merchandise. WTF.

Anonymous said...

I am pretty random when it comes to accessories, ok, i don't accessorize at all BUT I made myself be good with sunglasses because I can't stand the cheapies (of course they fit crooked). I have had the same pair of Maui Jim's for going on 4 years now - love them. Mark has gone through about $250 of cheapies in the same time. I would go get the Wayfarers and treat them like a baby. Growl if anyone even looks at them much less touches, or dares to try them on! my two cents
m

carey said...

You've always had nice sunglasses. I'd like to think if I had nice sunglasses I'd take better care of them and wouldn't lose or break them.

If that were the case, they'd be stolen.

Anonymous said...

in the interest of full disclosure, i did buy a pair of those huge 60 styles glasses which i wear when i feel the need to be stylish, and it's not too bright out. the thing i do like about them is they pretty much hide your whole face, certainly the entire eye area which has a tendency to make one look a bit younger

Anonymous said...

Hey,
You could get a good pair and then get a CASE for them! And keep them in your purse or your car - I've had the same pair for years too.
(then again, mine are bifocals)
H.
PS America's Best in Deptford would most likely have good optical quality ones for cheap.

Mike said...

Beep Beep Beep

What's that sound, you ask?

It's your monthly Time To Blog Again alarm.

msscalz said...

carey, do you hear tell of any 30 year reunion?

Karen

carey said...

Hey...Karen? Is that you?

Anyway, my reply is long overdue, but Sue and I had talked about it a couple months ago...usually Mike A., Rich K., Lisa F., Dawn C. and I have been gotten together to plan it..but after our conversation it went nowhere. I think everybody's too busy; I know it's been a crap year for me, anyway, and I think the thing with Scott S. took the wind out of people's sails.

If you had real email, I could email you! Or a blog entry or something. Anyway, email 33carey@gmail.com to keep up!

Anonymous said...

I know you probably won't see this-it's been a while since I've read your blog.
Don't you know that the plastic tag works as a nose guard? Kind of like, "permanent" zinc oxide! You could start a trend...